Friday, July 29, 2011

The Piece By Piece July Challenge {Altered Dressform}

Hi Everyone!  Sorry it's been so long since the last time I posted.  I can't believe how time flies.  July has been a super busy month with family visiting from out of town, parties, and getting sick. I've also been having computer issues lately and haven't been able to get online for awhile.  So here's hoping I can get thru this post without my computer shutting down on me :0  Anyways, I hope if youre reading this, you are all doing well and enjoying your summer thus far.

Today I'd like to share what I created for The Piece By Piece's July Challenge.  I had so much fun participating in their first challenge last month and was so honored that Beverly (TPBP owner) and her DT choose my project as one of their winners.  I highly recommend checking out their blog for inspiration, especially for using all those wonderful trims that I'm sure you're probably collecting (I know I do) :p Also, if you're interested in adding more to your collection I definately recommend checking out TPBP's etsy store for some beautiful trims and embellishments.

For the this month's challenge you had to transform your dressform using trims, fabric and etc. I decided to make something that was both decorative and useful so I decided to make a magnetic board for all those important notes.  Here's how it turned out:
                                                              (Click on images to enlarge)


Here's a condensed description on how I put it together:
-I started off by gessoing and painting a Maya Road chipboard dressform.
-I traced the outline form on some decorative paper, cut, then glued down the paper with matte medium.
-For the top bodice I first ran some of the embroidered floral trim thru my Xyron, adhered it along the top at an angle then cut around the trim with scissors (I thought it would give the top a cute shape).
-I then adhered some beaded trim, ribbon and lace to accent it and inked the edges of the dressform with brown staz-on ink.
-For the magnetic base I took an old pencil tin and decorated it by adhering down 3 x 2 1/2 square inch pieces of decorative paper  (I thought this would give it a cute patchwork quilt look to go with the theme) with regular matte gel.  The paper pieces was inked around with vintage photo distress ink.
-I then brushed the entire piece with matte medium to seal it well.
-I sprayed the entire piece including the dressform with some glimmer mist and smooch spritz.
-I hot glued some rope trim along the inside border of the tin to frame it.
-I inked the edges of the tin with brown staz on ink.
-I took some coordinating buttons, tied ribbon thru it and hot glued some magnets on the backs.
-Then I painted some clothespins with gesso and stamped on top with brown staz on ink and attached
some magnets to the back as well.
-I hot glued some trim along the outside of the tin and tied a ribbon on the top for hanging.

I had so much fun putting this project together and was surprisingly pleased with the outcome.  I plan on putting a title on the dressform but haven't decided yet what that should be?
Thanks so much for stopping by and having a look!  Take Care!

1 comment:

  1. OH my gosh! I love the magnet board and your use of the applique! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete